Monday, July 28, 2008

Community Emergency Response Team-CERT


I participated in a marathon CERT class that my dad taught at Channel Islands University. It was soooo fun. It started Friday at 12 and went until 9pm. Then Sat I was there from 7 am until almost 4pm. We learned all about community emergency preparedness. We learned how to extinguish a small fire, lift a car off a person, and triage a huge disaster. It was a great class...full of really neat people. I was the last of my dads family to be CERT certified. The best part was that it ended with a huge drill. My sister and two of her kids played victims. They were part of a bus explosion that looked pretty good. My niece Adree was a little freaked out by the whole thing. She had a pretend cut on her leg with lots of fake blood. It was also full of dead people (dummies)and severed limbs and pretend hesterical people. It was really exciting. I have one picture of me and my dad.

Below is the newspaper address with the article from the event.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/jul/26/victims-participate-in-camarillo-drill-terrorist/

Sorry I have not been much of a blogger lately. I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off since we got here. We also have been house sitting for Dave's dad for the last two weeks. It is like staying at a hotel stocked with Dream Dinners.( : We have been really blessed. Things are running very smoothly. Dave has a new great job as well. After this emergency training event I raced home to write a talk because I also spoke in church yesterday. Ahhh!!!! My sweet little sister Kiely just bought me the third Twilight Book. I think she heard me whining that I haven't had the money to buy it. She is so great!

I have a ton of picture's I will definitely need to make a slide show soon.

5 comments:

amber {and co.} said...

Larin this looks awesome, ever since Kristi became a paramedic I have wanted to do something like that! I bet it feels great to be so prepared! And very cool that your dad was able to teach it, he's a great guy! I'm glad you're stayin busy and so glad you're home with your family, definitely keep us posted when you get a second to breathe :)

jenkinsfamliypost said...

good job larin!

Susan said...

Whoa...I never thought that you would be taking your CERT class from your dad. You and your marathons...you never do anything the easy way! Dad's training goes so fast--like listening to the best talk in sacrament meeting--you don't want it to end. The plus side is you are making so many new friends and there's no pressure to have the right answer or put be personally put on the spot. It's so important to learn, but so fun to participate in the class. I'm so proud of you! Actually, since you are an EMT ( I put just ET first, forgot the "M" lol) I didn't think you would take this class. You never stop learning--good lesson for me! lymi Mom

Knapp family said...

Having a daddy who served as a firefighter for 30 yrs I have to say you go girl. How great!!!
Glad to see you are happy to be back in CA.
Keep in touch.

Jeni said...

How fun! I'd love to be CERT certified. I'm kind of a preparedness nut.