Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Arizona Pinstriping

Arizona pinstriping (or Arizona pinstripes) is the colloquial term for the thin, shallow scratches along the sides of trucks and SUVs usually formed when branches, twigs, or thorns scrape along the side of the passing vehicle. This term likely originates from Arizona, a U.S. state well-known for its adventurous Wild West culture and numerous off-road trails. Generally, scratches that are severe enough to remove layers of paint are not considered Arizona pinstriping.
In
off-roading culture, the term is often used to differentiate off-road-capable trucks and SUVs that are actually used off-road from their urban and

suburban counterparts that are used almost exclusively on paved roads and are purchased mostly as status symbols. An off-road-capable vehicle (especially SUVs) with "Arizona pinstriping" is generally considered evidence that the owner actually uses the vehicle for its intended purpose.






Dave's friend Doug Martin invited us to come along with his family on an offroading adventure. It was quite the adventure. We had a great time. There were many other off-roader's in the convoy not all 4WD. We went through rivers and over huge mountains. There were some pretty hair raising moments. We really laughed hard watching some of the others get through the tight places and loved listening to everyone a head of us freak out on the walk-i-talkies. One guy got a flat tire. Another guy brought a rented Dodge Durango on the trip, he got it stuck at one point and now he has to return it covered in new pinstripes. We enjoyed a picnic hours from any other people or civilization. We all got lost according to our leader. I hit my head hard enough to bring tears to my eyes on a huge bump trying to help Dean in the back seat.
And yes, our truck is now decorated in lovely pinstripes. It was so worth it and we plan on doing it again the next trip they take.
Photobucket

8 comments:

Tamster said...

Sounds like you had fun! Or is it just that the bump on the head made you forget that most people don't like scratches on their vehicles, flat tires, and bumps on the head?! ;-) JK Really, there is something to say about using a vehicle for its intended purpose. We have a truck that is currently dead, but it's appearance is evidence that it was definitely used for its intended purpose, and then some!
Hope your head feels better! :-)

Ashley said...

That sounds like fun. If I ever get out there maybe you guys will take me out for an adventure. You look really good by the way.

Aundrea said...

How fun! Your truck ROCKS!! I keep BEGGING Matt to trade in my mini van for a quad-cab truck, but he's not taking the bait yet. Hope your head feels better.

Candace said...

It looks like you had fun..I love the new pinstripes. Bytheway, you are looking SO GOOD!!

Susan said...

Larin! What are you thinking? lol To tell the truth...on the way home from your house,when we visited last...remember?(I didn't tell you) I wore my camo outfit and just went off-road where the Saguaro Cactus grow. Oh golly, this sounds like a song. Anyway, I almost rolled the FJ Cruiser. Steve was taking movie pictures--and I kid you not! Steve yelled at me over and over and all that's on the camera--is the ground and the words. (The not so nice words--was my name,over and over in a mean manner) I have one "still" photo of gravel shooting up and hitting the FJ. It still had the new dealer paper plates. I even went to the rough sand and rock dunes in Oxnard so I could start labor with you and that's a whole story in its self. Off-roading is fun, but be careful....pretty, please? Yo mama

Minor Family said...

How fun! Let us know next time you go we might just tag along! Bucky & Shad would LOVE that!!!

Deven and Alyssa Perry said...

I just stumbled upon your blog page and thought I would say hi! Looks like you guys are having loads of fun!

jenkinsfamliypost said...

how fun. i want to go!!!!!!!!!!
YOU ARE A KNOCK OUT.!!!!!!!!! HOT DANG GIRL. YOU LOOK GREAT. keep it up.
i love you