Yesterday while Dave was working Deans friends from down the street came over to play. I am such a worrier that no matter the temp. outside I will always open the windows to hear them in the front. I decided to put Jaxon down for a nap so I opened the front door as well. That's when the noise level went way up.
I went outside every few minutes to remind them not to howl, scream, yodle, make Indian noises....you name it they were doing it right outside Jaxons window. I finally told them to go on the other side of the house and play or Dean would have to come in. Not long after that Jaxon fell asleep.
I was in the kitchen when I noticed it.......complete silence. It's the oposite of glass breaking but to me it was just as shocking. I imediately went out front. I looked all over the yard. Toys were strewn every where, but no Dean and friends. I went back in and checked to see if he had snuck passed me to use the bathroom....nope. I checked the backyard, then the side yards. Then I went and stood in the front yard wondering if he really had broken the rule of staying in our front yard ONLY. My heart started to pound. I went over to the little boys' house that Dean had been playing with. I was getting ready to be really mad. the little boy answered the door. He said that he didn't know where Dean was. I totally thought he was kidding. Then when I realized he wasn't my anger turned to uneasyness then panic. I ran home to check again that he wasn't there. I checked 3 more neihbors houses. No Dean and no one had seen him.
I woke Jaxon up and we got in the car. I drove to the park down the street and a round the corner. I was so ready to call 911. I was scared at this point that all this time had passed, and I knew for sure that he wasn't at the park because Dave and I have told him never ever leave our yard let alone go to the park. I was shaking and fighting back tears when I saw him. There he was, at the park playing with all the other kids. There were some moms there too. I parked the car at the grasses edge. I had the window down on that side.
That's when I started yelling. I didn't care if I embarresed myself. I walked down to where he was. I was saying the whole time how scared I was and how he had broken the rules. I am sure minutes before that as I was running around looking for him those moms were wondering where the heck this five year olds mom was and why was she so irresponsible?
He was so confused. Completely oblivious. He just wanted to play with more kids and this girl "Smiley" he called her had taken him to the park to find more friends. "Smiley is 6, she is big enough to take me to the park". "Smiley" is not from our street but from the one behind ours I have only seen her a few times she usually goes past on her bike to tease the boys not steal the boys.
I am sorry to go on and on...I think I am still so freaked out about it because this is so far from anything that I would ever let happen. I am so scared my kid will get stolen.....I have nightmares about it. This will only make my fears worse. I think maybe I should threaten a phobia here. Needless to say he will not be playing with friends for a few days.
12 comments:
I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know how protective you are and how good of a mom you are. I know Dean will be sorry now that he didn't listen. He will feel your eyes burn into the back of his head.
Wow Larin, I can't imagine what that must have been like for you- that is my biggest fear as well! I'm sure Dean will remember mom's wrath from that day and won't make that mistake again!
OH MY GOSH....so scary....every mother's worst fear. I am SO glad he was found safe and sound. I have learned my lesson the hard way one too many times. Even Ashton who is 8 is not allowed out front without me. Sutton took off on his bike once and made it all the way to STH Blvd with heavy traffic. That was a tender mercy I'll never forget. It happens to everyone at some point...unfortunately. You'll look back on this one day when he's older and laugh about it..maybe...LOL!
How scary! I've had one too many of those incidents. Glad Dean was okay.
That was a scary story! I got chills, I was worried for you!!! It's amazing how sometimes kids just don't get it. I guess that is why they have parents!
Now where's my FAT blog? I want to get started. Your dear chubby mom
dang, my other comment didn't post. i love u--I left you all alone on the bed when you were first born and I went downtown. All four kids where with me. My milk let-down and suddenly I'm going up Ojai Rd. 90 miles an hour--freaking out the whole way OOPS! I birthed 5 kids. MOM
Larin I hear you and empathize with you. I've had the same scare, and it's a phobia of mine too. I'm glad that everything was ok, and that he was fine.
Unfortunately for me, I too can relate--numerous times over!!! I have a daughter who has been one to run off a lot, and I am also very protective. (Trust me; it isn't that I'm letting her run wild. In fact, I've wondered if it's the opposite--that I'm too uptight, and maybe she likes the thrill of rebellion!) When they want to do it, they find a way. Give her an inch, and she takes a mile--literally! ;-) I do think she is getting better about not running off, but she still has her moments.
I remember a time being in Wal-Mart, for example, and she had disappeared. I'm balling because I can't find my child, and I've got the store employees looking for her and everything. She's found playing in the arcade games area, just having a grand old time, not even aware that anything is wrong. I kept wondering when she would get HER scare--not being able to find us--so that maybe she would stop doing that kind of thing. She's just always been a no fear kind of kid. I think she is gradually learning--or maybe just growing out of it. Thankfully my 2nd child is not so bad that way.
Frankly, if this is just your first experience with this kind of problem, it sounds to me like Dean's a pretty good kid! Hang in there! You're doing great! :-)
That sucks... But we've all done it~ Matt and I lost Collin once at the Mall. and that was with two parents watching... or should I say NOT watching... Its terrifying~ I'm so sorry you had to experience that~
That is so scary. I would have freaked out. There are lots of weirdos out there, and to not know where my kid was I would be so relieved, but ANGRY when I find them. You handled the situations A LOT better than I would have.
Post a Comment